Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Team is Everything - Schneider on Leadership


What is good leadership?  It seems to be one of those ideas that falls into the realm. . . “you know it when you see it” . . .or in my case when you feel it.

My version of bad leadership includes the word “Me” or “I” verses “We” or “Team”.  I think bad leadership equals not being responsive to your team’s feedback. 

Good leadership will allow you to build a culture that tells you when you have a problem. A good leader is someone who is consistent, non-biased, responsive, selfless, and sets an example in all that they do.   

Unfortunately in our world we have too many leaders who send inconsistent messages. 

I am not sure that I am a good leader, but I tried to always be fair and most importantly, I never asked anyone to do something for the company that I was not willing to do myself.   It is my belief that a leader is not afraid to listen and to learn.  I often tell people,  “I was smart enough to figure out a way to recruit you…now it is your turn to teach me what you learn everyday.” 

A good leader understands that the TEAM is everything!  

There was a moment when I was speaking to my sales team at Data Domain during an annual kickoff meeting.  I looked out at the team of individuals and reflected on what we had accomplished the last 12 months (I think at the time we went from 50M to 150M)…Here I am, a 40yr. old executive, a 6’4” 250lb man, and I just started to cry.  God, I felt like such an incredible wimp…but what I saw was just awesome.  A group of people who thought more of each other than themselves – a group of people that answered my challenge of growth and exceeded my expectations.  Specific stories of individuals ripped through my head – I noticed a rep. that I had worked with personally during his first 6 months at the company and had sold nothing -- and now he was our rep. of the year and whose income was over a million dollars (imagine how much he sold)…and felt the stories, the passion, the trust and the power of the team. I often look back at that moment with a sense of pride…not in me, but in my feelings for the team.  I recognized that this team was a reflection of me…and I of them.  Is that a good leader? – I don’t know.  But I can tell you…most of the people in the room that day cried also.  What a moment!  I still think I am a wimp – but when I stop feeling - I stop being an effective leader. 

In the end I believe a good leader needs to be proud of his / her team…and in turn, the team needs to have the same pride in their leader.   

As I consider my role, these are some of the questions I ask myself everyday:

-       Would I want to work with / for me?
-       Would my mother be proud of me for doing “x” or “y”?
-       Am I fair?
-       Am I doing this for me, or the team? (Ok to answer yes to both…)

Your answers may vary on a situation to situation basis, but in general they served as my touch stone in reminding me of who I am, and who I want to be, as a person and as a leader.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus Buckingham provides an interesting distinction b/w a leader and a manager. A great leader obsesses over a vision of the future that they see so clearly that they move heaven and earth every day to see it come to fruition. A great manager, on the other hand, obsesses over the success of their direct reports. They stay awake at night trying to find the right conditions to place their people in to allow them to become the best they can be.

    It seems like you are one of few that holds a passion for both.

    ReplyDelete