Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Data Domain - Zero to a Billion





The Blog -- Background


So you want to build a company from zero to a billion in Revenue – I hope you have your dancing shoes on !  This is the story of Data Domain and my experiences and memories as the Vice President of Sales as we went from zero dollars to a billion dollars -- what a ride! 

A bit about me…I am the most paranoid sales leader you can ever find.  So I handle my paranoia by seeking information from the source…the clients, resellers and team.  What am I paranoid of…just about everything…but most importantly that I will make a mistake that will decrease the well-being of my employee’s and their families… I love my job…but I love my people more.  I try to get fired everyday by doing what is right for the company…not sales…not me…what is right for the company, our people, and our clients. 

Some people define me as smart…I define myself as practical. 
I also define myself as a man of character…I don’t have much grey area in my life..I am black or white. I also was told that I was not the first choice for the VP role…I told the board let me get you to 10 million in revenue and then replace me.  I had never had more than 50 people on a sales team that I managed and I was not from the data storage market – the market that Data Domain was in. 

In truth, I got hired because our CEO – Frank Slootman believed in finding people that had their best days in front of them professionally…he liked smart, committed people.  I got lucky and convinced them to hire me to run the America’s and keep their search going for the perfect candidate…I wanted it bad! 

It should be noted that I am not a competitive athlete…while I love athletics and worked hard I just did not have the ability…but I love to win.  God do I like to win.  In my game however – winning is only important if you have humility and a high ethical standard.   Never compromise what is right…or you and your company are just a bunch of “losers”.  

One final thing about me…I recognize the power of the individual.  I want to surround myself with people who want to be empowered, challenged and rewarded.  I hate kiss butt’s or political games.  We have a job to do…how to make the company grow.  It is not about me or them it is always about the company.

This story however is not about me…it is about Data Domain and some of the lesson's learned that I thought should be shared.  


(Be the Bull!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment