Thursday, April 7, 2011

On Beating IBM and Sun

It is always fun to beat large competitors -- in one situation I decided to write up an out-take of the "Tornado Alert" we sent out that described our victory.


-- Congratulations to the "Barbecue Brothers" they just closed company x for 3 million dollars.  It was a hard fought battle against IBM and Sun.  This is the conversation that was overheard from Sun and IBM at a local Waffle House... this is the actual (fake conversation) recorded... who had tried to team to beat Data Domain:



IBM Rep – I am so excited that we get to charge really high prices for some backup at XYZ
Sun Rep – Me too… finally someone who wants to buy a giant tape library…that disk dedupe stuff is killing me in the open systems… ATT said no to more tape…and I have no one else left to sell to.
IBM Manager – Where is the “blackberry syrup”
Sun Manager – I can’t believe you called this meeting for 9:00 am – normally I am golfing.
IBM Rep – So did you hear of that Data Domain guy telling the client that he can solve the Mainframe and OpenSystems backup problem.
Sun Rep – Yeah I heard – I sure hope that the client does not test that…we just lost to them last quarter.
IBM Manager – Damn…this syrup is good
Sun Manager – I would be on my second “bloody Mary” by now… when do we go get that order.
IBM Manager – Lets golf afterwards…also did you know that the Jack Daniels plant is just up the road.   They offer drive through tasting.

Phone Rings – It is the client calling the IBM Rep….
IBM Rep Answers – oh.  The meeting is not needed. You bought the Data Domain stuff.  It works to backup the Mainframe…it is fast.  It gave you back how many floor tiles.   Oh…ok.      – Guys – looks like we are golfing after all.
Sun Manager – Ok – lets go golf…can we stop and do a tasting first?



-- Our team is celebrating with a rack of ribs, Jack Daniels and a beer chaser.  Well done and just know I will eat barbecue with you anytime you call.


Go team Barbecue!

No comments:

Post a Comment