Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It is about the Client

How many times do companies say that they are client focused but in reality all they really care is getting the PO and then finding the next customer.  When you are a young company your reputation is everything…you need fans – you need fanatical fans – clients that volunteer to speak to other prospects, analysts, future employee’s or investors…you need clients that come back and buy more.

How do you build a client centric approach into your culture…you live it…you breath it and you interview for it.

Sample interview question:  
“It is the last day of the quarter and you get two phone calls back to back right after getting off a drill down call with me on your quarterly forecast.  First call is a prospect ready to spend 1 million with you if you can come over an answer a few more questions…the second is from a client who spent 150k with you 6 months ago…the client is down and needs help to get his systems back up and running.  You only have time to do 1 of the two…what decision would you make.  (Remember, I am the VP of WW Sales who is driving a growth number of 20% quarter over quarter when I ask you this question – Do you know the right answer??? 

The answer I wanted to hear, or would give to every candidate or new hire was… “Tell the prospect that you have to work with them tomorrow – I have an existing client that needs my help and as we are a “client first” culture I owe them my time and attention.  (Prospect name)  I hope you understand, and that you should have the same expectation of me after you become my client.  

The other correct answer would be –  enlist others… for example call me with a request -- “David, I need some help – I have a client in need and a prospect who wants some additional information, can you help me to cover one of these so that we don’t disappoint anyone” – in our culture you bet your butt I would be there – tell me how to make a client happy and how I can assist every sales person to get to their numbers – I  am there!  The entire team would rally around you (the rep) and the client! 

No comments:

Post a Comment